Computer won't restart/shutdown, font change on .txt firefox,weird behaviors

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomcruise3230

In Runtime
About my computer: custom build computer build by professionals on ncix dot com, windows XP Home Edition service pack 2 . AMD 2.1 mhz processor, 1 GB RAN, 320 GB seagate HD (it has 58% space available), File fragmented only 1%, 1.96 virtual memory available. 8-9 months old

It all started when i updated windows update on april 14 and also installed youtube uploader and the the problem started right after 2 days ago later then that. I uninstalled youtube uploaded but the problem still persist. what happens is the computer works fine for the whole day but after 9-10 hours or more for some reason it acts weird like first on a saved notepad .txt the place where the name of the .txt is disappears (where the name and Red X mark is to close whatever your using). Even if i close and re-open it, its their and it happens basically to all programs, files I open and including firefox browser. Then it gets worst first when i re-open a saved .txt file the font changes and also the font changes on firefox also. Then I try to restart and shutdown my computer many times but it doesn't do anything (no message, its like i didn't even click the restart or shut down button) Then it gets more worse by firefox browser not opening and start menu saved shortcuts disappeared. So I Had no choice but to manually power off the computer by unplugging it and when it is back on EVERYTHING IS BACK TO NORMAL! But just to be caution, I deleted all temporary internet files and cache. Then, I scanned my computer with kaspersky internet security but it didn't find anything. Also checked windows task manager for any suspicious process running and googling it and didn't find anything suspious. I even tried hijackthis tool but it didn't find anything also. I don't know whats the problem is since after 10-11 hours again (not continous work since I only surf online, read ebooks, sell on ebay, watch vidoes and nothing like that needs a lot of power like playing games, photoshop, making movies, etc) it does the same thing over in the same pathern. Please ADVISE on what I should do since I do not want to damage/erase all the MEMORABLE documents, photos and other things My family deeply cherish. We will be waiting on anything that can remedy our situation!

okay i will try that however If i do a system restore prior to april 14 or when i updated windows updates will the problem go away if the cause of the problem was the update and not a malware or a virus?

If the problem was an installed update rather than virus/malware, t hen yes a system restore could fix it. I'd suggest going through the guide first, though.

I did a system restore but it said "no changes have been made to your computer" What does that mean and I still see the updates for windows update i did on april 14 and 15.

And I don't want to do the osiris guide yet since I don't really know at this point it is malware problem because if it was the problem should happen as soon as i turn on the computer but it happens after 10 hours later. Can you tell me why is that (maybe its overheating since I live in the attic and i rarely open the windows so it gets very humid but i do have a fan)

It doesn't hurt to go through his guide anyway; never know what could be lurking on there ;).

You can always look at your update history (go onto Windows Update site on M$'s site, and then view your update history that way), and find out what updates you installed, and then go to Add/Remove Programs, and uninstall them from there.

I did try already hijackthis 2.0 and I didn't see anything that is harmful or something already don't know but I am not sure about this one:

HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfig] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe /auto

should I delete it?

I also ran CCleaner and cleaned up files/junk that I don't need.

Also, when i try to remove the updates it says it has already been uninstalled and cannot be located (i forgot the exact message) maybe because i did a system restore. Anyway I still pressed the button "removed" and looks likes its gone from add/remove programs. But i am not sure it is. So how do i find out the update is complete removed?

Don't remove anything in HJT unless you know exactly what it is. Post your logfile in this board, and Osiris or somebody will let you know exactly what to remove: http://www.techist.com/forums/f70/

As for the update...If it's gone from Add/Remove Programs, it should be gone. It shouldn't be because you did system restore, because you said system restore did not change anything. If you want to see if it indeed did remove it, you can always go back to the windows update site, and start the manual update process, and see if those updates appear for you to, well, update to lol.

From what I gathered I believe it is a heating issue because the problem started to happen when it was more humid then usual then i ever encounter before when i start living here since the CPU temperature is 95F and CASE temperature is 94F which i didn't see before. (The case I have is Home theatre PC which is this one: Black nMEDIAPC Media Center HTPC 200BA Case Micro ATX Computer Case Desktop Cases Air Duct 9-in-1 Card Reader USB2.0 1394-Best Computer Online Store Houston Buy Discount Prices Texas-Directron.com ) Is that normal? The local temperature reaches 72 degrees now and I live in the attic (its not a normal attic since you can walk easily and the size of the whole house) where i rarely open any windows. (sometimes when I return to my attic I feel the humid and I don't feel like staying because of the humid but i get used to it) So please tell me how can i make the computer in a cooling condition and what accessories I should buy to keep it below normal temp. level. So far I have been using the computer for 9 hours now and no problem has started yet and the CPU temp. is 87, case is 84 temp.)

You should use Celcius when dealing with PC temps =). Those temps are fairly good, though. What kind of CPU is in it? My e6750 idles at 23-25C (but I have an aftermarket heatsink/fan on mine), and is around 44C on load.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom